During the process of information / story gathering and before giving the stuff for publication, every Freelance writer will be forced to face the situations such as:
· The interviewed communicating his appreciation but puts a word of caution “ don’t quote me”.
· The interviewed communicating “the revealing are off the record”.The consequences may be unpleasant, quarrel, litigation, breach of trust, legal threatening etc. In such situation Freelance writers are put to embarrassment or put the person interviewed in an awkward situation. Some basics should be understood and followed to avert the situation.
· Make the issue clear at the outset itself the intention of at your seeking material in addition as to publishing with the name of the source.
· Intimate clearly that the source will be intimated as “dependable Source” , “ deep background”.In general, it is not advisable to agree for the restrictions, as the person revealing the materials may be using the Freelance writer and his magazine publishing the same to spread rumors and false propaganda. So, what to do then: Clearly indicate the intention and the purpose of the interview for which the person is being interviewed.
· Not to accept any condition including “ let me see before printing”.
· Best precautions are forthright honesty & careful tact.
· To explain in the cover note to the publisher, about the source and their direct quotes, as the same information /gist might have been published in a different way in some other magazine.