Once you freeze your decision to be a FREELANCE WRITER, there are two main things to be done:
1. To find good ideas for article
2. To find the market potential for the ideas / subject
3. To identify the Editors & Publishers to recognize the article.
For the first step, the beginner has to:
· Scan through the news papers
· Avoid stories, since there is plenty of coverage, except
· Those having not been told earlier or which have different nucleus
· Tickle brief news that raise more questions
· Better to read the English newspapers circulated in other locations / Regions / Foreign land
· Derive potential stuff from them, as local news would have caught the eyes already.
· Likewise, magazines of various languages /regions etc to be scanned .
· Concentrate on specialized magazines of the subject you have chosen(i.e. sports, business, finance, arts, politics, bio-tech, system development, HR related etc)
· Best source can be your own experience and what is happening around you & friends.
· Inventing ideas / news may not occur often. But because of the inventions in New Technology, Changes in Social attitudes, Adoption of new habits, Cultural Changes, we can expect or foresee new arenas.
· Keep your eyes and ears opened on the happenings in and around you
· Style of presentation to be Unique in nature
The Second Step after concluding the stuff / article the freelance writer has to sit in the seat of a reader. He should test the merits of the stuff and contents and jot down the criticisms and questions. In short, you should put yourself as critic and analyze for making modifications and corrections. After that you should check in the news papers , periodicals, Magazines, Library stuffs etc regarding the appearance of your subject and the way of handling the same. This will give more depth to your ideas for refinement. In case of having selected the magazine / periodical for presentation of your subject / article, one should have the view of the circulation areas, number of visitors to the magazine, comments, observations, requirements If any etc. All these will enhance the market potential and recognition for your article.
Now the Freelance writer has concluded the subject / article and the type of magazine / periodical to be involved. The third step is to identify the publisher / Editor which is the crucial part of Freelance Writing. Unless the article gets published the writer’s name will not get acquainted over the length and span of the magazine readers. For this, the writer has to list down the number of magazines / periodicals / newspapers dealing with the subject. Then rank them as 1,2,3,4, and so on. By way of ranking the writer can understand the type of readers and their requirements and their whims and fancies. After selecting the magazines / periodicals / newspapers through which the subject has to be published, the writer has to approach the appropriate and competent or key person in that magazines / periodicals / newspapers who is decides the subjects and articles. There also, those officials need to be ranked to have the fruitful results. The proper and key person to be approached at the appropriate time with his prior permission. All these step by step activities of organizing will go a long way. This will lead you to reach a top spot as a Freelance Writer for the subject in that magazine. Once you get a chance in a renowned publication then you are going dictate the markets.
FOR ACHIEVING THIS, YOU NEED ATTITUDE, APPROACH, ORGANISING AND CONTINUOUS REFINING THE IDEAS T THE CURRENT LEVEL, SYNCHRONISATION TO THE NEW DEVELOPMENTS, CULTURE & ENVIRONMENTS.